Brood 19 Cicada are here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Since the time of Napolean this emergence-convergence dance with brood 13 has not been seen. I am glad we only have brood 19 showing up because I have measured the sound decibel levels of my wife using our handheld stihl blower and my decibel meter read 70 but look at this:
20240506_102740.jpg

They start by crawling up what is usually a dark warm sun attracting surface because they are as pale as a Londoner at a beach:
20240506_091352.jpg
20240506_091335.jpg

Halloo little friend! It was looking at me! They have been going since last Wednesday (Monday now).
20240506_091330.jpg

After a while they get a nice tan and start a ruckus, sort of the original dating network really and its pretty loud. It occasionally shuts off for reasons I do not understand. I was walking dogs at pee-thirty and it was silence two days ago.
20240503_161753.jpg

The dogs are having a field day in the lawn. At first we thought the dogs were just sniffing and eating grass but my wife was horrified to learn they were eating the things and are very excited to go outside now.

Evidently these Cicada will end up on some menus as well, though I will pass as I am well set in what shellfish I like.

HaHa -my neighbor was doing the same thing with his phone this morning. He sent me this screenshot!
IMG_20240506_105732.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What is really crazy, and I was inspired by my neighbors app picture btw, is that those Hertz frequencies have 2 side band frequencies in the Amplitude modulation world.

It takes 3 frequencies to triangulate a location.

I am in awe if these ancient creatures are using what amounts to local gps in order to propagate.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cool :cool:

They had it sussed out long before we did. You have to check Latin names on ingredients these days if you want to avoid eating them :cautious:

Ask a Question