Blackberries are ripe!

Reaction score
After getting my inside work done today I treated myself to a walk to the woods to check on our wild blackberries. Oh baby! I found clusters of big, black berries just waiting for me to arrive! I picked 4 quarts with plenty more available as more ripen. I LOVE having blackberries in the freezer to enjoy at other times of the year.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, not even flowering here yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
It has been raining here for the last few days, so I have not been out to check the meadow to see if they are ripe yet, but I think that there should be a bunch of them ripe here, also.
The last time I checked, there were bunches of berries, but they were all still red, it by now, they should be perfect.
It is not raining today, so I may go out berry picking , too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Blackberries are so delicious! I should get some too. I always eat them with whipped cream and dark chocolate chips, it tastes heavenly :D

Reaction score
I picked more on Tuesday evening and there will be more to pick tomorrow. I indulged in a childhood treat....sprinkled some with a little sugar and topped them with milk. YUM!!! I could eat an entire quart like that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Congratulations on your score! Something like that would never happen where I live in the city. Oddly enough, I still have to protect my city grown plants from all manner of wildlife from bugs to bigger critters.

Reaction score
Wow, no blackberries here as of yet, but we don't generally get them until late August-September time in Wales. I love foraging though. Now's the perfect time for a walk along the old-disused railway line by my house.. there's wild strawberries, wild raspberries, elderberries in September, and there'll be sweet chestnuts come October, not to mention the sheer tonnes of blackberries once they're ripe.. There's so many that it's not even a problem when wildlife eat some, because there are still thousands left..
We even get hazelnuts here, provided I can beat the squirrels! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love foraging though. Now's the perfect time for a walk along the old-disused railway line by my house.. there's wild strawberries, wild raspberries, elderberries in September...
We even get hazelnuts here, provided I can beat the squirrels! :D

I am envious of that bounty! I would love to be able to take a walk someplace and find hazelnuts! I have a vague childhood memory of my grandparents buying these large bags of mixed nuts still in the shell. I believe they contained pecans, walnuts, almonds and hazel nuts. There may have been one other kind, too much time has dulled that memory;

Reaction score
My grandparents bought something similar; I believe.. There was always a bowl full of different nuts on the sideboard, anyway. I remember one hazelnut being so difficult to crack that it stayed in the bowl for months. My grandfather bought me an 'Unbreakable Nutcracker' as a sort of gimmick Christmas present, and I gave it my brother to crack this nut, and the damned cracker broke! We threw the nut away after that.. It obviously didn't want to be eaten..!

But no, I think it's just a case of knowing where to look and what to look for. There are loads of people who walk their dogs along the track where I tend o find everything, but I'm grateful they haven't recognised any of the plants and trees yet.You get the odd blackberry picker but there's plenty to go around. And the teenagers still come to collect conkers (Horse Chestnuts) to play with. But the rest is usually all mine for the picking!

I don't think it matters whether you live in city or countryside either. Where I used to live was a really built-up urban area, but the Council had planted fruit trees along several of the pavements: apples and plums etc. I'd always be over there, every autumn, picking fruit. And as a thank you I'd do most of the winter pruning too, because they didn't seem bothered with the trees once they'd been planted. Check hedgerows, parks, abandoned sites etc. You're bound to find something, even if it's not as bountiful as the country.

I just think health and safety has made foraging wild food a taboo in our modern society that the majority think something will make them ill if they pick it wild. It's a shame really..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't think it matters whether you live in city or countryside either. Where I used to live was a really built-up urban area, but the Council had planted fruit trees along several of the pavements: apples and plums etc. .

There are a couple places here where there is a fruit or nut producing tree in the middle of the road growing from a median. I have often thought of planing more trees that could produce fruit as opposed to the ones that are planted just for flowers or shade. The medians in some roads are wide enough to make parks, but I also have concerns about children trying to cross the busy roadways or play on the medians.

There are some empty lots in neighborhoods that could stand to be turned into community gardens as well. One of the gardens near my home is very well tended, but I don't think there is enough participation at the other one. I tried getting information a while ago and emailed the person with the parkway commission who was coordinating (who I happened to know) and never heard anything back.

More and more people are frequenting the local markets and starting gardens now, but there is very little opportunity for foraging here

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Ours were about ripe the last time I went out in the meadow to look. It has been raining all weekend, so I have not been back out to look, and it seems like we either are way too hot to do much outside , or it is pouring down rain. Anyway, I definitely need to get o it there with my bowl and pick the ones that are ripe.
These are the tiniest blackberries ever. I think they are more like what we used to call black caps. They are only about the size of a blueberry, and no where near as big as the huge juicy ones we ate in western Washington.
But, if they are ripe, am sure looking forward to a bowl full of them.

Reaction score
I think I picked my last the day we left for vacation, a week and a half ago. But I have two gallon sized zip bags in the freezer full of berries, so I'm happy. We still have the odd ripe berry here and there, but I just pop them into my mouth right away, as there's not enough left to really collect them.

Marie, I'm jealous of your haul as well! I don't know if I'd recognize all those things or know what was safe to eat or not. I agree with your comment about people being afraid to eat something from the wild. Silly, really....it's probably healthier than what you'd get at the store.

Reaction score
Yes! The blackberry plant that didn't produce anything last year is producing this year, even though we planted it under a tree :) I was hoping it would take hold there and I was right.

Reaction score
The blackberries are ripe here too! We were out fishing this past weekend and got to enjoy a nice streamside snack! I just moved to a new house and we have discovered a blackberry bush in the yard!

Ask a Question