Beautiful Day...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Not sure what I'm doing. I was interested in finding a garden forum that might answer questions from a novice...even tho I am a bit long in the tooth.

I love everything about gardening, but it's always a surprise when something actually grows.

I live by the ocean in Pismo Beach, CA and I went for a long walk today. The first of many, I hope. At Thanksgiving, my older sister would just zip out of my house and go for a walk. One of my sons said it would be good for me. So I went for a walk...not one a health professional would approve of, considering I stopped at every lovely garden to take a longer look.

We'll see how this gardening blog goes. It was a stunning day...brisk, but clear. Made myself look over the cliffs and watch the waves crash into them. Brought my cane. Not that I need it, but dogs look at me like I might be a nice snack.

I do have a question. Several years ago, I planted a 'knot garden' of little boxwoods. Can anyone tell me the best time to trim these guys? It has finally grown together and it is about a foot high. Simple design, but don't want to hurt it. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
giphy12.gif
Welcome!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just so you know...sparkles is a weird name...but I used to work in a craft store and the pockets on the apron I wore became filled with glitter. One day I was in a hurry and my apron dropped spilling copious amounts of glitter over the break room floor...thus, the nickname.
:D:LOL: Good name!

Googled this

Boxwoods can be trimmed at any time of year, but, for plant health, it's best to avoid shearing in the late fall. The new growth that appears after trimming boxwood bushes may not have time to harden off before frost. Shearing or trimming may be done with hand shears or with electric hedge

more from
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/boxwood/trimming-boxwood-bushes.htm

From RHS UK

Pruning and training

Cut back young hedge plants and topiary by up to one-third in May to encourage bushy growth. Further trimming can be carried out between May and August, as required.

Trim mature hedges and topiary in August. It may be worth noting that although box hedging and topiary can be pruned towards the end of May, pruning at this time may leave the new flush of soft growth vulnerable to weather damage such as leaf scorch, the result of late frosts, drying winds or unseasonably hot sun and, additionally, diseases such as box blight. Pruning later, during August when the new growth has hardened off and slowed down should help minimise leaf damage due to weather conditions or disease and the hedge should remain neat through the winter months.

Old, neglected plants usually respond well to hard pruning in late spring (May) and can be cut back to within 15-30cm (6in-1ft) of the ground.

Propagation

Box can be easily propagated by taking semi-ripe cuttings in early to mid-summer as the new growth is beginning to become firm. Cuttings will root in the open ground if the soil is moist and there is some shade. More reliable results come from placing cuttings in a cold frame or similar environment. A heated propagator will speed the rooting process, and you should see roots after eight weeks, as opposed to up to eight months without heat.

Grow on the cuttings, pinching out the tips regularly. In the autumn plant out into a nursery bed, spacing plants 30-45cm (1ft-18in) apart and grow on for three to four years.

Good idea to take cuttings as Box could be susceptible to Box blight.

Hope it is helpful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Just so you know...sparkles is a weird name...but I used to work in a craft store and the pockets on the apron I wore became filled with glitter. One day I was in a hurry and my apron dropped spilling copious amounts of glitter over the break room floor...thus, the nickname.

Good story @sparkles...

Found this reference article https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/boxwood/boxwood-care.htm

In the article, it says: Boxwoods can be trimmed at any time of year, but, for plant health, it's best to avoid shearing in the late fall. The new growth that appears after trimming boxwood bushes may not have time to harden off before frost. Shearing or trimming may be done with hand shears or with electric hedge clippers.

I doubt you have to worry about frost where you live. BTW...we love pictures here and would love to see your knot garden. I had to look that up...didn't know what a knot garden is.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good story @sparkles...

Found this reference article https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/boxwood/boxwood-care.htm

In the article, it says: Boxwoods can be trimmed at any time of year, but, for plant health, it's best to avoid shearing in the late fall. The new growth that appears after trimming boxwood bushes may not have time to harden off before frost. Shearing or trimming may be done with hand shears or with electric hedge clippers.

I doubt you have to worry about frost where you live. BTW...we love pictures here and would love to see your knot garden. I had to look that up...didn't know what a knot garden is.

@MoonShadows Snap!

We like to help. don't we?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You now know how powerful google is! Literally shaping our thinking without us even knowing it.

I remember once upon a time, google search always invariably yielded results for goods for sale on Amazon and ebay .. and of course, the idea of making you part with your money .. Very subliminal..

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm doing sparkles but my excuse is my age. :):D

A very warm welcome to the forum from me too; I'm a 70 year old gardening novice and already asking lots of basic questions. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm doing sparkles but my excuse is my age. :):D

A very warm welcome to the forum from me too; I'm a 70 year old gardening novice and already asking lots of basic questions. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Sparkles .. @Colin works his garden like an enthusiastic 7 year old..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
:D:LOL: Good name!

Googled this

Boxwoods can be trimmed at any time of year, but, for plant health, it's best to avoid shearing in the late fall. The new growth that appears after trimming boxwood bushes may not have time to harden off before frost. Shearing or trimming may be done with hand shears or with electric hedge

more from
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/boxwood/trimming-boxwood-bushes.htm

From RHS UK

Pruning and training

Cut back young hedge plants and topiary by up to one-third in May to encourage bushy growth. Further trimming can be carried out between May and August, as required.

Trim mature hedges and topiary in August. It may be worth noting that although box hedging and topiary can be pruned towards the end of May, pruning at this time may leave the new flush of soft growth vulnerable to weather damage such as leaf scorch, the result of late frosts, drying winds or unseasonably hot sun and, additionally, diseases such as box blight. Pruning later, during August when the new growth has hardened off and slowed down should help minimise leaf damage due to weather conditions or disease and the hedge should remain neat through the winter months.

Old, neglected plants usually respond well to hard pruning in late spring (May) and can be cut back to within 15-30cm (6in-1ft) of the ground.

Propagation

Box can be easily propagated by taking semi-ripe cuttings in early to mid-summer as the new growth is beginning to become firm. Cuttings will root in the open ground if the soil is moist and there is some shade. More reliable results come from placing cuttings in a cold frame or similar environment. A heated propagator will speed the rooting process, and you should see roots after eight weeks, as opposed to up to eight months without heat.

Grow on the cuttings, pinching out the tips regularly. In the autumn plant out into a nursery bed, spacing plants 30-45cm (1ft-18in) apart and grow on for three to four years.

Good idea to take cuttings as Box could be susceptible to Box blight.

Hope it is helpful.
Thank you for the information!!!! So, I guess I'll wait it out...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b or 10a
Country
United States
Good story @sparkles...

I would love to send a picture...if I knew how...my phone takes pictures, but then what do I do to get it to this forum?

Ask a Question