Allium transplant root shock advice ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i recently planted about 20 allium atropurpureum bulbs (ornamental) that I had ordered from Beth Chatto nursery. About half are showing signs of root shock / transplant shock (and possible overwatering - hard to know as the signs are similiar).

I planted them about two weeks ago and they and been waiting in their pots for two weeks prior to this (weather was generally wet, windy and cold - v unlikely they dried out). They started to go downhill about a week after they arrived and some have got worse since being repotted, others have remained the same. I'd say at least half are affected.

Signs include: yellow and brown leaves, wilting, dried out leaves or just soft and floppy. Some that do look a bit floppy have small buds forming but there are others that look pretty sad (see photo).

improved (lots of grit added), free draining, clay soil (some compaction from working it in spring though - i know, stupid of me), full sun, London garden.

My questions are as follows:

Are they likely to bounce back? If so, how long does this take? Anything I can do to help?

Are they going to come back next spring if they die now? Should I cut them fully back or will this kill the bulb?

Any tips would be mighty helpful!

Thanks

Stan

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 15.05.13_24469726.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 15.05.13_24469726.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 2
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 15.05.14_84d56fef.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-04-29 at 15.05.14_84d56fef.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 2

Ask a Question