What deficiency is this? Or is it something else?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Only just spotted this thread. 🥴 If those were in my garden, I would collect seed, grow some more, grub out all of the existing plant and clean the whole area. Then grow the new plants on and use them in several places in the garden when they're ready.
Just an idea.
Actually, if we are all supposed to be gardeners, why aren't we collecting seed more to grow our own plants. There's so much more for your money then, and it's not that difficult to do.
Cuttings work good to and your plants are far ahead.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Agree...but more.

By collecting your seed, over a period of time, you can actually see effects of adaptation. The plants over generations adapt to the local climate, insects, and diseases. As a result, they are healthier and more productive than plants from seed collected thousands of miles away.

As an example, I have a jalapeno pepper seed I have been collecting for about 10 years. It never has insects or diesease and produces over 300 peppers per season of large jalapenos.
Learning from experience is great. Learning from someone else's experience shows an intelligent brain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Agree...but more.

By collecting your seed, over a period of time, you can actually see effects of adaptation. The plants over generations adapt to the local climate, insects, and diseases. As a result, they are healthier and more productive than plants from seed collected thousands of miles away.

As an example, I have a jalapeno pepper seed I have been collecting for about 10 years. It never has insects or diesease and produces over 300 peppers per season of large jalapenos.
This is the coolest idea that I’ve never thought about! Some of my flowers are starting to reseed themselves which was so exciting to see. I’m on my third year of gardening, and one thing I wasn’t expecting is for it to change the way I think about time. I used to think in terms of days and weeks, but now I think in seasons and more long-term. Part of me is a little unsettled because these go by faster as I get older (currently 34). But it’s done wonders for my patience and planning skills. Instead of being let down by how long something is going to take, it’s much easier to think of it as a fun goal to work towards and maybe even a little surprise if I end up forgetting about it!

I guess I’m just trying to say that the thought of collecting seeds and replanting would’ve seemed like an unrealistic and daunting goal because now we’re talking years, but with the little bit of experience under my belt now that seems absolutely feasible and exciting!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
This is the coolest idea that I’ve never thought about! Some of my flowers are starting to reseed themselves which was so exciting to see. I’m on my third year of gardening, and one thing I wasn’t expecting is for it to change the way I think about time. I used to think in terms of days and weeks, but now I think in seasons and more long-term. Part of me is a little unsettled because these go by faster as I get older (currently 34). But it’s done wonders for my patience and planning skills. ...
I can't tell you how delighted I felt to read the above!! Still grinning. :D

Yes, the more decades you have the more you realize how much more to learn there is out there and that the old saying "patience is a virtue" is right on for gardeners.

Thank you for that post!

Ask a Question