Switching up my front beds, need suggestions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two flower beds at the front of my house which faces E/SE. I'm in Zone 8 in Texas and I would like drought tolerant full sun smaller perennials. I'd like to maintain some spacing so I can walk through them for maintenance. Preferably I'd like some thing hearty that requires the least amount of maintenance. I know this sounds like a cop out but I've changed jobs which doesn't allow me as much time this season. I currently have recycled rubber mulch but am open to hearing the pros and cons of rubber, cedar, pine mulches as well as stone and even no coverings. Asthetics is important though. I attached a couple of photos of the beds from last season with the fresh plantings. I wanted to build a low dry stacked flagstone retaining wall, maybe 8-10" high, instead of the current pavers but wasn't sure how to blend it into the lower sidewalk, which is only about 2" high. also there is the issue of the slopes from the center towards the corners of the house. Sorry if my post is confusing but I just would like some input. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20230502_140453 1.jpg
    20230502_140453 1.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230502_140528.jpg
    20230502_140528.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 2

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Howdy.

Some suggestions that came from a search on

drought-tolerant perennials that thrive in full sun and have a smaller stature, here are some excellent options:

1. Yarrow (Achillea):
    • Yarrow is a tough, heat-loving perennial that produces beautiful clusters of flowers. It comes in various colors, including yellow, orange, red, pink, or white blooms. Yarrow is also a great cut flower. Deer, rabbits, and most other pests tend to avoid it.
    • Sun Requirements: Full sun.
    • Height: Up to 3 feet tall and wide.
    • USDA Hardiness Zones: 3-91.
  2. Pineleaf Penstemon (Penstemon pinifolius):
    • This semi-evergreen penstemon bursts into bloom each summer, showcasing masses of bright scarlet-red flowers. Butterflies and hummingbirds adore it, making it a delightful addition to your garden. It’s also suitable for bouquets and flower arrangements.
    • Height: Up to 18 inches tall.
    • USDA Hardiness Zones: 4-101.
  3. Agastache:
    • Agastache is a reliable bloomer throughout summer and autumn. It comes in several colorful varieties, such as ‘Desert Sunrise,’ which offers orange blooms with pink and lavender tints. This drought-tolerant perennial is a hummingbird magnet and makes a lovely cut flower.
    • Height: Up to 3 feet tall.
    • USDA Hardiness Zones: 5-101.
  4. Sedum (Sedum ‘Autumn Joy’):
    • Sedum, with its fleshy, succulent leaves, is a resilient and drought-resistant flowering plant. ‘Autumn Joy’ is a popular variety known for its late-season blooms. It holds onto water well during dry spells.
    • Height: Up to 18 inches tall.
    • USDA Hardiness Zones: 3-91.
Personally, I'm a fan of Azaelia for those front yard beds and that's what we have. Low maintenance but does need acidic soils.

Ask a Question