Roses in dire shape

Reaction score
Country
United States
We moved into a new house last year, and we inherited a rose bush that seems in dire shape (see attached).

It's super thin with few leaves. Last fall, it bloomed a couple times, but it seems very anemic.

I'd like to shorten it because of how tall it's getting, but I'm afraid if I cut one of those 3 main stems, it won't sprout back.

Does anyone have tips for reviving this bush, or is it a lost cause? Are there any fertilizer/pruning techniques that could help it thicken up, and branch/leaf out?

Attachments

• 20240415_113250.jpg
    20240415_113250.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's in shade which suggests it may not be getting enough sun. Roses prefer six hours of sunlight plus a day but will manage with three to four.

Below is a guide to pruning early in the year, but with your rose I'd be inclined to prune each stem down by a third now and take out the lower of the two stems in the centre completely. It will look scruffy for a while but will eventually start to grow new stems and leaves. Don't expect flowers this year but a few may appear later in the season.

041 Pruning roses.jpg

Roses are hungry and thirsty shrubs and ideally like to be fed two or three times during the growing season, the last feed being about two months before they start to shut down for winter dormancy. I sprinkle granular blood, fish and bone around mine and then water in. When they start to flower I use a diluted liquid tomato food.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Below is a guide to pruning early in the year, but with your rose I'd be inclined to prune each stem down by a third now and take out the lower of the two stems in the centre completely. It will look scruffy for a while but will eventually start to grow new stems and leaves. Don't expect flowers this year but a few may appear later in the season.
Thanks for the tips - this is very helpful!

Ask a Question