Not sure if disease or overwatering (tomatoes & capsicum)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah i might just try being more vigilant inspecting the plants when i see some damage starting, i pulled three of these buggers off today, im sure theres more hiding, a good water spray should be fine to blast them off, and ill look up home remedies too.

And nah that isnt my photo, but its the same worm, eating my tomatoes
The caterpillar on your tomatoes is a Hornworm caterpillar. They can and will eat most of the leaves, but won't kill the plant. The caterpillars morph into a beautiful moth. We don't kill the ones we find. I know most people hate Hornworms and delight in killing them. We plant extra tomato plants, as I said earlier. https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-insects/tomato-hornworms
We have lots of birds in our garden. Scrub jays love Hornworms.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Good info @MiTmite9 .
That spray (Dipel) is for the cabbage white moth 2jjg4. So keep that for the brassicas that you should be planting about now for the winter. Your tomatoes are looking better - have you put them outside or fed them something to boost them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
The caterpillar on your tomatoes is a Hornworm caterpillar. They can and will eat most of the leaves, but won't kill the plant. The caterpillars morph into a beautiful moth. We don't kill the ones we find. I know most people hate Hornworms and delight in killing them. We plant extra tomato plants, as I said earlier. https://extension.umn.edu/yard-and-garden-insects/tomato-hornworms
We have lots of birds in our garden. Scrub jays love Hornworms.
Well whatever species of caterpiller it is they were destroying a lot of my green tomatoes on the trusses, big holes everywhere, hence them getting tossed. But yeah this week im sowing a bunch of new tomatoes & other stuff, so im not all that bothered on a few losses ultimately.
Good info @MiTmite9 .
That spray (Dipel) is for the cabbage white moth 2jjg4. So keep that for the brassicas that you should be planting about now for the winter. Your tomatoes are looking better - have you put them outside or fed them something to boost them?
Yeah that actually looks like the exact moth ive seen hovering around my tomatoes before the leaf destruction outbreak, i expect that is the grub I tossed, these green caterpillers all look the bloody same haha, ill get a pic of the next one I spot.
1709328725490.png
1709328754337.png

That earlier leaf pic wasnt of my plant if thats what you're refering to, but my plants have been better lately in fact, top half is fine and got a little greener again though I still get the odd yellow leaf die off on the lower half. I eased up on watering and gave them some blood'n'bone. Will be repotting a lot this week too, no more rootbound issues. And yup winter crops sowing this week.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tomato plants, as so many gardeners will tell you, are pretty much a weed type plant. By that I mean they aren't a fussy plant and often plant themselves as "volunteers."
When watering tomatoes, keep in mind that they thrive on deep watering as opposed to frequent watering. Water when plants seem about to droop.
Compost used as mulch is a good amendment. I also add a bit of crab & lobster shell (crushed) mix. Worm castings, too.

The plants can be "heavy feeders," as far as fertllizing goes. But careful not to over fertilize. A bluish green tint to leaves is indicative of too much nitrogen.

Molasses water and molasses water as a foliar spray helps, too. 1/4 cup black strap molasses to 1 gallon of water. Give tom plants a molasses drink on occasion. Use same for spraying plants.
If you want to increase yield, when tom plants are in flower, give each plant a bit of a shake 1-3 times per day. This helps with pollination.

I have read that Cabbage White caterpillars will eat tomato leaves, but I have yet to see any of that going on in my garden. Best of luck. Nothing beats the taste of a warm homegrown organic tomato picked off your own plant.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
When watering tomatoes, keep in mind that they thrive on deep watering as opposed to frequent watering. Water when plants seem about to droop.
This bit is debatable. The common consensus is that regular watering avoids blossom end rot. It's so dry in summer here that I have mine on irrigation and water them every second day.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This bit is debatable. The common consensus is that regular watering avoids blossom end rot. It's so dry in summer here that I have mine on irrigation and water them every second day.
Many many years ago I took a class in organic gardening. Watering deeply and not watering overhead was what I was taught. It has always worked well for me. No blossom end rot on my tomatoes, but the plants often do get leaf curl toward the end of their lives.
The best thing is to not let watering fluctuate. I get that in warmer climates more frequent watering is necessary, but I still hold to "water deeply as opposed to watering often and not deeply enough.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Like I said - it's debatable. I've had a very good tomato crop this summer (just finished yesterday). I have let the grass grow as a living mulch around the base of the trellises. The irrigation runs the center of triangular trellises and possibly keeps the center wet all the time to an unknown depth.
Your other hints on molasses and such have been good and I'm by no means a tomato expert - so thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like I said - it's debatable. I've had a very good tomato crop this summer (just finished yesterday). I have let the grass grow as a living mulch around the base of the trellises. The irrigation runs the center of triangular trellises and possibly keeps the center wet all the time to an unknown depth.
Your other hints on molasses and such have been good and I'm by no means a tomato expert - so thanks.
Hooray for growing your own. It's so gratifying and rewarding.

Ask a Question