Would mature Ivy cuttings generate mature or juvenile leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the forum with a question that Google failed to answer or my Q's too daft!

Back story is I've had ivy growing wild along garden fence posts for about 16 years and for the first time it flowered last year YAY, at last the 'leave flowering Ivy for winter pollinators' box is ticked but the fence posts have rotted and I've got landscapers booked to give quotes and didn't want to be too precious over this beautiful clump.

I have taken some guestimate cuttings and potted them up with hope & some rooting powder but do I also need to trace back the original mature branch to point it out to the landscaper & ask them to work around it or perhaps dig it out to reposition it?

Probably way over thinking this but as its finally flowering I don't want to lose it.

Many thanks for any replies x

Attachments

• Ivy-plant-mature-flowers.jpg
    Ivy-plant-mature-flowers.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would just dig it out, divide it up and pot up a bunch of it. This way you know you' ll have some left. Fence guys are not worried much about your greenery, in my experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, if you make cuttings with mature foliage they will also have mature foliage and bloom. Sometimes we can find 'Ghost Tree' ivy which is Hedera canariensis 'Variegata' with more upright stems and mature foliage. It might take longer for the cuttings to root.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, new to the forum with a question that Google failed to answer or my Q's too daft!

Back story is I've had ivy growing wild along garden fence posts for about 16 years and for the first time it flowered last year YAY, at last the 'leave flowering Ivy for winter pollinators' box is ticked but the fence posts have rotted and I've got landscapers booked to give quotes and didn't want to be too precious over this beautiful clump.

I have taken some guestimate cuttings and potted them up with hope & some rooting powder but do I also need to trace back the original mature branch to point it out to the landscaper & ask them to work around it or perhaps dig it out to reposition it?

Probably way over thinking this but as its finally flowering I don't want to lose it.

Many thanks for any replies x
Why anyone would want ivy in there yard is beyond me. It's an invasive pest. It's very hard to kill so it should come back fine after replacing the fence. If it were me I'd take the opportunity to dig it all out and start with a desirable vine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meanwhile, I stand in my yard and cuss out my neighbors for EVER planting ivy. I wish I could go back in time and nip that first planting right in the bud.

Ask a Question