Why are Hydrangeas in NY fading so early this year? Any solutions?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Westchester NY. Hydrangeas here have been thriving and blooming colorfully this year. Suddenly, in last week or two, I’ve noticed hydrangeas colors are fading very early this year.

Likely the early heat waves and excessive rain for the past few weeks are influencing this phenomenon??

Is there anything that can be done to prolong vibrant color or bring it back once it starts to fade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Just could be what you selected. I have thirteen varieties. early bloomers, middle bloomers and late. Yep, my early are fading to different colors. But have some fresh ones flowering. Its all about reading about the plant, find out how they bloom, when, etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Westchester NY. Hydrangeas here have been thriving and blooming colorfully this year. Suddenly, in last week or two, I’ve noticed hydrangeas colors are fading very early this year.

Likely the early heat waves and excessive rain for the past few weeks are influencing this phenomenon??

Is there anything that can be done to prolong vibrant color or bring it back once it starts to fade?
I think it's the excessive heat too. I just cut off all my faded blooms and gsve mine some fish emulsion fertilizer two weeks ago and I already have two new blooms opened up on each one. I have the Endless summer variety but this June's temps were more like what we normally get in mid August. They needed to take a pause from the heat is all I think it was.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's the excessive heat too. I just cut off all my faded blooms and gsve mine some fish emulsion fertilizer two weeks ago and I already have two new blooms opened up on each one. I have the Endless summer variety but this June's temps were more like what we normally get in mid August. They needed to take a pause from the heat is all I think it was.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your response. I think that is probably most of it. All of my hydrangeas usually hold their color through most of the summer.
My hydrangeas are all the old traditional ones. Not re-bloomers. They bloom on old wood. If I cut off the blooms i don’t expect I would get many more.
The biggest one that has put on the best show is over 5’ tall and ~ half the width of our two car garage. It’s planted right next to our compost, so the soil is black and rich. Like black gold.
Wish there were something I could do to help them hang on to what color they have left.
There may be not much I can do.

Attachments

• DB53905D-D3FB-45A4-AE37-BA05A93D2EE2.jpeg
    DB53905D-D3FB-45A4-AE37-BA05A93D2EE2.jpeg
    427.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 3DDD49D1-128E-4DFC-9EAC-6F9285B11E43.jpeg
    3DDD49D1-128E-4DFC-9EAC-6F9285B11E43.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 4

Ask a Question