Who's Been Eating my Squash?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I harvested this squash before more of it could disappear into some critter's mouth. Does anyone have experience with having squash getting chewed on like this? It's in a raised bed in a property that is up about 12 steps, so rabbits are really unlikely. That leaves squirrels, rats, and racoons, but it doesn't seem like their sort of food. I'd appreciate any comments, as well as ideas for preventing this damage. Thanks!

Squash.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Deer are notorious for taking a bite out of things and then leaving them. It sort of looks like rake marks from big teeth. It may sound gross but you can try peeing in the garden somewhere close or pouring some out. Blood and guts would also repel deer but also attract predators.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all your comments. Deer are ruled out, as we live in the heart of Ballard where they are not part of the local urban fauna. There is no practical way to fence these raised beds on a garage roof to keep out squirrels, which can climb anything. Is there anything that might repel the local pests?

Ask a Question