What's happening to my tomato?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is this something eating my tomato? So far, it's only on this tomato the rest are fine. We've had alot of rain, but I don't think this is an over watering issue? Any ideas and how to address it?
tomatoes.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Fuzzy pic. It looks somewhat similar to blossom end rot but that happens at the base of the tomato so my guess is something was chewing on it. For now I wouldn't worry about it, just toss it and keep a close watch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like damage from corn ear worm/tomato fruitworm. Apply Bt or Spinosad before any signs of damage can be seen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I just found my second hornworm on a tomato plant. I left it on the plant, since this is only the second one I've seen in over ten years (in my yard). I guess something is eating them since I've only seen two.

On another tomato plant I saw a black mass on the bottom of a tomato, so I turned the tomato over and it was at least 30 insects of unknown species (all the same species). They didn't seem to be eating into the tomato, so I'll keep checking back and see what happens.

BTW, I'm somewhat of an insect lover:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I just found my second hornworm on a tomato plant. I left it on the plant, since this is only the second one I've seen in over ten years (in my yard). I guess something is eating them since I've only seen two.

On another tomato plant I saw a black mass on the bottom of a tomato, so I turned the tomato over and it was at least 30 insects of unknown species (all the same species). They didn't seem to be eating into the tomato, so I'll keep checking back and see what happens.

BTW, I'm somewhat of an insect lover:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Not a chance a hornworm would survive once spotted, even one can do a huge amount of damage in a short time. My heirlooms are far too valuable. Btw, they glow under a UV light at night making them easier to spot.

Ask a Question