What to do with soil from food grade bucket containers for next year

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have my plants in food grade bucket containers. The tomatoes and green peppers did well this year. I would like to keep the soil for next year if possible. I saw some videos where people pulled out the plants and roots, tossed all the dirt into a pile, added fertilizer and new organic soil, mixed, and used that again next year. Is this a good idea? Any other things to note?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm worried about raccoons and pests. I want to compost but our yard is small. I don't want them close to my house.
You can compost in a trash can. You just poke holes in the bottom, sides and top then secure it so no animals can get at it. People usually run a chain around trough the handles to secure the top and padlock it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have wood in the bottom of my buckets, so don't empty them completely, just take out a bit and 'revitalise ' it. In a year's use the level has dropped a bit anyway so I don't get a lot over. What there is I put towards new buckets.
I also try to vary what is growing in them, rotating crops. At this time of year, when my tomatoes and peppers are finishing, I have strawberry runners going in, late radishes in the greenhouse, carrots coming on and some leeks I am trying in buckets for the first time, I planted them in an almost empty bucket and have been filling it up as they grow instead of a trench and earthing up.
I found carrots very successful, no slugs or diseases, I stand them up a bit and carrot fly don't find them, which means I can weed and thin without waiting for rain or evening but you can't put many to a bucket or they stay small. I don't know what grows out of tomato season in your neck of the woods, but worth thinking about, fresh carrots for Christmas dinner.

Ask a Question