What is the deal with the 5 in 1 apple trees?

Reaction score
They seem to be very popular and supposedly produce fruit in only 2 years. We may not be living here for a long period of time in order to wait for a regular apple tree to fruit. I have also read they are self-pollinating. But I have also read they are grafted which seems to be a bad thing? Any advice?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Grafting apple trees is standard practice, and is an excellent thing, for reasons already gone through.

If your 5-in-1 tree is five varieties grafted onto one rootstock, then it will be cross-pollinating itself, rather than self-pollinating.

This may sound like pedantic semantics, but there's more to it than that.
Self-pollinating varieties DO have the full kit for reproduction, but cross-pollinated trees do far better in terms of the size of the crop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They seem to be very popular and supposedly produce fruit in only 2 years. We may not be living here for a long period of time in order to wait for a regular apple tree to fruit. I have also read they are self-pollinating. But I have also read they are grafted which seems to be a bad thing? Any advice?
Your climate and soil type are very important for apples. If apples are not prevalent in the south where you are I would be leery about investing in one

Reaction score
I so badly want a 5 n 1 apple tree! I've heard nothing but good things about them. My friend has 2 in her backyard. She lives up North and says these trees thrive well where she's at.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think that 5 n 1 apple trees are so popular, because they're perfect for people who don't have big gardens. Personally, I wouldn't want to grow a tree like this. I kind of like how they look, but I'm used to regular, big apple trees that bear lots and lots of fruits every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have been considering getting trees like that. There are several varieties out there. They have dwarf ones to that you grow in the house. Maybe you could get one of those...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really want to get one of these trees because it would be perfect for where I live. We are also the apple growing state, so I know it would do well here. Where can you buy them at? Are they expensive?

Ask a Question