What is happening here?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't had much luck this year with my garden. But my biggest concern is my cucumber plants. The fruit grows and hits a certain point and balloons out and turns orange (picture attached) Does anyone have any idea what is happening? Is this disease or pest? And is there any hope if me saving the plant?

Attachments

• 20240630_195517.jpg
    20240630_195517.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240630_195508.jpg
    20240630_195508.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240630_195459.jpg
    20240630_195459.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240630_195452.jpg
    20240630_195452.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240630_195415.jpg
    20240630_195415.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240630_195336.jpg
    20240630_195336.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The white on the leaves looks like mildew, pretty common on cucumber, I have it on mine, but I have not seen it affect the fruit. It is almost as though you have a variety for gherkins so the fruit stays small and then ripens. Partly I am posting so that if you get a better answer I will see it and learn something, sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ginger with Roots

Ginger with Roots
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you have squash beetles (look like ladybugs with 7 spots), they carry all kinds of fun diseases and viruses. Plus they damage the leaves. The stunted cucumber growth is probably a lack of pollinators. Severe rain, cooler temps and extreme temps will reduce bee activity. Are you seeing plenty of bees working the flowers?

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
So it looks to me like they are hungry and need to be fertalized. You have them in a fairly small planter for a squash with what looks like heavier materials in the soil. Add a potting mix with some aged chicken maneur or a good rich organic liquid fertalizer and make sure you are watering them enough. Next year you need a much bigger pot for cucumbers like a wine barrel, or put them directly in the ground full sun. They like a lot of water & don't do well in the cold at all. If their roots are cramped they will put out tiny flowers. Since the yellowing is around the edges mostly it is likely a nutrient, water or ideal temperature defficiency. If it is the very beginning stages of powdery mildew then you can buy a foliars spray bottle and dilute milk, water & dawn dish soap to spray on the leaves, add a bit of neem oil to repel pests. Spray it on at a cooler time of the day without washing it off so it doesn't burn them. Reapply every 10 days as needed. When it sets fruit ring with crushed egg shells to repell snails and slugs. The smaller flowers are male and larger ones are female. You can hand pollenate the female flowers from the male using a qtip or paint brush if you have less pollenators. I usually harvest those smaller cucumbers when they are immature for the best pickles. Green ones that are larger for fresh eating. When the plant is stressed it will try to ripen fruit wierdly & sometimes you just get a dud or misshapen fruit. They turn that orangy yellow color when they are overripe. You can still eat it, but it won't taste as good, or you can save the seeds from it for next year and make great compost from the rest. Just harvest the other fruit sooner. Don't get discouraged as each step is a learning curve and even the wierd fruit help you the next year either by growing nutrients by putting them right back in the planter bed, composting or obtaining you more free seeds. Don't transplant them at this point as squash have delicate roots and you will likely just lose them. Feed them and water them more.

Ask a Question