What are these in my lawn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am not really a lawn-proud person but am intrigued as to what these long 'wheat-like' things are in my lawn?

lawn1.jpg
lawn2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not too familiar with grass varieties over there but looks to me your grass is going to seed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like rye grass going to seed, it's a common addition in a lot of lawn seed mixes as it is pretty sturdy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It does look like couch grass which is very evasive. If it is then I had the same and had to replace my lawn completely
I think you meant 'invasive' :) The flowers of couch and rye grass are very similar looking, but I would expect a wider leaf on couch grass. The couch spreads by underground rhizomes, you should be able to tell which it is easily by lifting a bit and seeing if there are thick, white, roots, if so it's couch. If not, probably ryegrass and you can simply mow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lawn was covered in it, nearly 80% so had to remove it all including all the soil
beneath
Decided to go for an artificial grass which is not everyone’s favourite but no further problems. If I’d laid a new lawn there was a great chance the couch would effect it again

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, that's the rhizomes, you only need to leave a little bit behind and it will take off again.
One advantage of artificial grass I have encountered is that kids playing football on it don't wear bare patches.

Ask a Question