We're in the, "One Size Fits All" era.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Had an e-mail from British Gas this morning, who presently supply our gas and electricity.

The radio service that supports your meter is being switched off. So we need to replace your electricity meter to make sure it continues to work after June 2025.

You can find out more about what’s happening here.

What this means for you

We need to arrange for an engineer to come to your home and replace your electricity meter. So that you can carry on using your electricity as normal.

Here’s what you need to do

"What I need to do"... is nothing. My meters aren't "radio controlled."

I'm quite happy reading the meters each month for both gas and electricity and posting them on their website. I do not need a "smart meter," I think I'm smart enough to control my usage and don't need any help.

So I e-mailed them back saying, "No thank-you."

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Suggest you get some photoelectric cells and a back up generator and tell them to go jump in a lake :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The anaolog meters around here were replaced several years ago with ones that are digital and radio controlled, at least the ones that could get a signal. They can read the meter from the office and turn it on/off with a push of a button.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The anaolog meters around here were replaced several years ago with ones that are digital and radio controlled, at least the ones that could get a signal. They can read the meter from the office and turn it on/off with a push of a button.
Watch it, sounds like the Post Office computer system. They changed the balance remotely and then sent postmasters to jail for stealing it. Sometimes old fashioned is better, the missus won't let them change our analogue one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I agree. I don't remember that anyone was actually offered a choice in the matter.

It depends. The threat of changing your supplier if they insist on a smart meter should do the trick. With British Gas when you post your readings, their computer immediately applies them to your account and calculates your usage and credit or debit balance. If it "thinks" you aren't paying enough each month to break even at the end of the year, it tells you what you need to pay.

If it ain't broke, why try to fix it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here in the US, you don't get a choice, you must have your meters changed out when they require it, whether it's for a new reading system or just to replace old meters for safety reasons. They won't make any exception for a handful who prefer to call in their readings or input them online. You'll eventually get a notice that if you don't have the meter replaced by a certain date, they'll cut off your service on that date. Make sure your gas company doesn't do the same.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here you do have a choice. Lots of gas/electricity suppliers, from which to choose.
Or as when we lived in the coach forty years ago, a wood burning stove we cooked on. It was good when we bought a second hand calor gas, four ring, cooker with an oven though.

Ask a Question