Weeds driving me crazy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we have inherited a garden that is very prone to wind blown weeds from nearby fields. We have a gravel car park that has a membrane underneath, we think, and a brick paved path 50 mts curving round the bungalow and we have dandelions, fox and cubs, and various others happily growing in between the bricks. We can’t afford to remove either area nor do we want concrete or tarmac so we have to deal with the weeds. We are aged 70+ and manually weeding is getting difficult, can you please suggest a good, pet friendly, weed killer that we can spray over both areas when needed? I’ve seen recipes for vinegar/salt/dish soap but not sure they work so chemicals probably needed? Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They sell torch weed killers here in the States. The easier one to use is electric and gives off a very strong force of very hot air that will kill the weed. They also sell one that works off a small propane canister as well.

Of course you have to be very careful that you don't cook your shoes with it !! 😁
1724002691167.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Both of those work well on the part of the plant they get applied to. The torch will get deeper if you hold it on the plant longer. If you want/need to kill the root and top, you have to use a systemic like glyphosate (the dreaded Round-up is one brand). Triclopyr and 2,4-D will work on broadleaf (dandelion) and woody weeds. If you want to kill everything and sterilize the soil, salt works wonders, for years and years and years. You might have trouble growing things around the treated area though.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if a heat torch might damage the bricks, boiling water will do almost as well, and I bet you already have a kettle. Salt, sodium chloride, or sodium chlorate weedkiller will do it, but keep it away from plants you want. Glyphosate will absorb into the plants and kill them, but breaks down in soil, so won't damage other things, but also won't stop them coming back. You will find people who say it is harmless, and others who say it is lethal, my opinion is that diluted it is probably fine, the concentrate is another matter, but keeping kids off treated areas for 24 hours, or until it rains, is probably not a bad idea.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They sell torch weed killers here in the States. The easier one to use is electric and gives off a very strong force of very hot air that will kill the weed. They also sell one that works off a small propane canister as well.

Of course you have to be very careful that you don't cook your shoes with it !! 😁 View attachment 104803
Thanks yes we have one, my issue is I have spinal problems and can only stand for a short while. We do use it when on
y a few weeds are about.

Ask a Question