Very sad Asplenium fern

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
I have this sad Asplenium that isn't growing. Mind you spring just started here in Argentina.
Last summer (January) I left it outside for too long and its leaves got sunburned. It hasn't produced any new leaf since.
At the time I had put it into a bigger pot, with regular soil (That's not okay right?)

Any recommendations to get it going again?
Screenshot from 2024-09-26 11-18-19.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
By "regular" soil if you mean dirt from the yard, then no, not good unless your outside soil tests out as completely fertile.

I would trim off all the brown on the leaves, leave the green parts, remove the dead leaves at the base and put it in a pot smaller than that one. Bigger pots with more soil is not better. When you give it too big of a pot the soil stays wet for too long. I would give it a pot 3-4" less wide than that one.

Then after you repot it and give it a good watering, put it in indirect sun. The direct sunshine is what burned it and turned the leaves brown. Keep it a north facing window inside. Do not fertilize it until it has a few new leaves growing up. Water it only when the top inch of soil is dry .

Ask a Question