Trees for small gardens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm finally having my back garden redesigned after moving in almost two years ago. I'm having new paving installed to become wheelchair accessible with planting beds.

My garden is a triangle shape and considered small, but it's perfect for my needs.

I'm looking to plant three small trees in different areas of the garden. I don't want them to become too tall or bushy. Maybe 12 feet max.

I would love to read any suggestions for small trees for small gardens that provide interest throughout the seasons if possible.

Thank you so much
Emma

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've mentioned this elsewhere. This is our sorbus, we've had it about fifteen years. The one we bought was about seven feet tall at the time. This is it nine years ago.

P1050881.JPG

It had an unbalanced shape when we bought it (there wasn't a lot of choice at the time). I've managed to shape it and straighten it by wiring it over time and removing some branches.

The pagoda is six feet to the top of the sorin, so I guess the tree is no higher than twelve feet. It has blossom with tiny white flowers

P1010870.JPG

I'm happy with the look now.
(the wire you can see is the cable from our summerhouse to a trail camera, we like to see what the hedgehogs get up to.

It has a lot of red berries in the autumn.

P1040556.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you both for the helpful suggestions. I'm going to look into all of them. I love the sorbus for the seasonal interest. Thank you again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are various root stocks for fruit trees available, some produce very small trees, but there are others, like Colt for cherries, that produce a smaller tree, but still recognisably a tree. If you make sure it is self pollinating you could get apple or cherry blossom in the spring and fruit in the summer or autumn. Have a look at the 'm' range of rootstocks from Malling research station. There are a few nurseries that supply them.

Ask a Question