Tree/shrub identifcation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, new to the forum.

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this plant. Its roots are quite large and I've found them throughout the back part of my garden heading towards the house. They're spread out laterally, with some shooting deeper down. I think the plant is a shrub but I can't identify it clearly from the leaves I've found. I've cut up some of the larger roots (roughly 20-30mm in diameter) and pull up other in the hope that it will prevent further growth towards the house. We've got a small woodland at the back of the house with several trees but I can't see anything in line with the root at the back of the garden (shown below with closeup of leaves) which has similar looking leaves.

1720976269034.png
1720976329531.png
1720976296870.png

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure that the little plant is the source of the roots?
It's more likely they are from the woodland behind you, assuming your garden is not huge.
Big plants need big roots, small plants don't; I can pull up ash, maple and oak seedlings the size of the plant in your photo with one hand, they get to few feet and it's different matter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The root system is all connected, I suspect it's part of a much bigger plant somewhere in he woodland I just can't see it. The leaves in the photos are all connect to 20-30mm diameter sections of the roots.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A bigger clearer photo might help with id of plant. I would just dig out cutting through the roots.
How far from the house? Also how far from the woodland? Is there a reason to be particularly concerned about the house? If yes then I'd dig down at the boundary nearest the woodland and insert a root barrier.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The woodland is literally 1m from the back fence and the main root I've seen runs along side the old wooden boarding used as a barrier between the garden and the woodland. I think it must go under at some point and into the back of the garden. The garden is about 6 meters deep and the closest I found the roots was around 3 meters from the house. The roots there were around 15-20mm in diameter. There is drain in the area so I don't want them cloggin it. I've cut up a large section of roots so I hope I've taken out the main one going into the garden.

In terms of the house I just don't want anything to interfer with the drains or foundations, not knowing what the plant is I don't know if it would continue to grow towards the house and eventually cause issues.

Ask a Question