Training wisteria

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Folks,

I could swear I posted this question before but I can’t find it for some reason so hear goes again:

I’m trying to train a wisteria plant I put in last spring. i have a couple vine branch climbing up a post of my pergola towards the pergola “roof” (for lack of a better thing to call it) and another vine branch running along a wire I attached to a joist under the porch floor. I ‘m looking for any tips and tricks to make this work and eventually provide some shade as it fills in the top of the pergola.
  • First and foremost, am I doing this right? Is it okay to have it climb by wrapping around the post like it is?
  • How about the vine running horizontally? Ok to have it grabbing onto the wire I stapled along the floor joist?
  • When the wisteria climbs to the top I have some galvanized wire to staple to the ”roof” of the pergola. I read somewhere a criss-cross pattern works best. Should I fasten the wire to the top of the pergola or the bottom
Please see photos to see how it’s growing so far.

Any help with my question or additional advice would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Greg

Attachments

• IMG_5004.jpeg
    IMG_5004.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5003.jpeg
    IMG_5003.jpeg
    392.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5002.jpeg
    IMG_5002.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 3