Tomato plants - how small is too small?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

New to the forum but hoping for some tomato plant advice. I started Gardener’s Delight tomato plants from seed in the greenhouse back in March - I live on the Shotley Penisula in East Suffolk, England - growing zone 8b I think.

I’ve grown them on and finally put them outside at the end of May. I’m fairly new to gardening and shocked that all seedlings have survived and almost all are a fair size, and as a result I have too many plants.

I’d like to pass some plants on, but I’m concerned they are too small to grow to full size and fruit before the end of the growing season. Am I being overly concerned? They are around 30cm tall at this point. Growing season here is May to October with July-August being the peak time.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m fairly new to gardening and shocked that all seedlings have survived and almost all are a fair size, and as a result I have too many plants.
When this happens you can get into preserving, or get a reputation for generosity :) but it won't always happen, so keep planting a few too many seeds, then you can pick the best for yourself if they all germinate, and you will still have some if only a percentage do.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When this happens you can get into preserving, or get a reputation for generosity :) but it won't always happen, so keep planting a few too many seeds, then you can pick the best for yourself if they all germinate, and you will still have some if only a percentage do.
Yes, I've been very fortunate this year. I grew some last year without a greenhouse, and very few seedlings survived, but this year, all my tomato seeds germinated, and all my geranium plugs have survived. I've already had a little radish harvest - very satisfying.
My partner has taken some of the geraniums into work for her nursing colleagues who've never grown plants before and don't have gardens. One who came back after the weekend very excited, "It's got taller! And it's flowered!" It's been lovely to be able to share.

Ask a Question