Tiny Quinault strawberries

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Tips on bigger strawberries? My Quinaults are very tiny about the size of a dime. I have each planted individually potted for now as I am just finishing up my new strawberry boxes and figured I'd ask now before I transplant. Zone 5b or 6a Metro Detroit. Ive experimented with plants in partial sun and full, but all the berries are the same size. Ive only allowed one plant to run. Lots of HUGE leaves very vibrant and green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hhmm these are new plants correct? I believe the suggested practice for new ones are to remove first flowers (so no fruit) and allow plant (s ) to get established in new permanent home (long roots) before any fruit set/runners allowed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I was considering getting some Quinalt plants... what are you feeding them? In order to get bigger fruit on any plant you have to fertilize properly on a regular schedule. I just read yesterday though (I have some new Loran strawberry plants) that too much nitrogen at the wrong time can lead to mushy fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b or 6a who knows
Country
United States
Well, the lady I got them from had a premix soil w/ some nutrients in there. The thing is though, is that the plant has like grown immensely. The leaves are as big as my hand, and just incredibly lush. They may be younger plants, I am going to have to ask her now. They might be happier in the new strawberry box. I have it lined with a little very old manure, compost, peat moss, pearlite, and a little top soil. I think I am going to pinch off all the berries like Everbrown suggested. I have some Jewels coming in next week. So I'll have the Quinaults, the couple of Ozark Beauties, and the Jewels...

Ask a Question