Tilling Mulch?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been Mulching with Straw over Cardboard works good.

My idea is till enough to break it up, thinking next Spring it should be broke down anding more to the soil along with Cover Crop.

My son is carrying on about me doing this because it is hard to till.

Am I doing right or should I take the Mulch up?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your son might not understand how this works.

And before anyone gets too critical, I go through this every year. My father comes over and tries to talk me out of watering once a day, or trying to get me to not fertilize. Especially he does those 2 things because he knows the more successful I am then the more work is for the family. He hates gardening and wants to only help his other kids and his wife. So he'll somehow try to talk us out of doing things that I know will help us. And I have enough experience to know that he's full of crap and just doesn't want to do it. You have to anticipate this that sometimes people in the family have this mentality that they can just go to the store to buy whatever...

People will try to do this in our families.

But it doesn't work that way. The store food isn't as healthy. Its often chemical stuff too. A lot of stores are closing now with so much economic damage also. And the ones that aren't are having their prices explode to compensate.

So do as much as you can.

Now,... for more on your question;

Tilling can be hard. But you have to do it. There's many many impacts of tilling. You want to do it. First, even without any nutrients added in, not counting minerals and stuff in the soil, the extra bio matter, carbon in the soil helps keep the soil from getting too hard. This helps the roots expand. Have you noticed how plants can't expand very well in the soil in clay soil? The clay gets in there and its too hard for them to push through it. Well wood stuffs, mulch, etc tilled into this helps prevent that.

Then there's also the idea of getting nutrients in there for microbes to grow. This is a 2nd point.

And then the third point of getting soil nutrients in there for next year's plants.

You need all of this.

Its more important than ever to be self sufficient. There's a lot of trouble in the country and unstable markets. People are starting to see that you can't always rely on the store also.

Also every year, I try to do like 80% vegetables I know I can produce and that I can produce a lot of food with. Then I try to do an additional percentage of both new stuff and experiments. Every year try to do something an experiment to help you learn how to do more. I try to have the focus on stuff that can produce food volume to actually help me; so you want a focus on retaining core percentages of what you know works. And the new experiments can be anything that will help you do that and some new things.

Another thing is to also learn how to can and preserve what you grow. It helps if another family member can do this because its too hard to be both the 'Grower job' and the 'preserver/canner job' both.

Feel free to post if you have any follow up questions again on this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't till, my soil is heavy clay and when the blades of a tiller go across the bottom they would make a hard, compressed layer, doing more harm than good. I use a fork, but rarely turn more than the top couple of inches, it rarely seems necessary. Breaking up the mulch and mixing it with the top layer of soil allows the organisms that live in the soil to start work on it, worms of course, but other things as well, so it gets drawn down into the ground. If it is left to itself, and not walked on, that usually seems sufficient to stop the ground becoming hard and impenetrable. I wouldn't take the mulch up, that would mean all it did was keep the ground damp and clear of weeds, no bad thing, but it would not add anything to the soil. There is not a lot of nutrient in straw and cardboard, but those microbes need carbon to eat as well as the NPK, they won't live by bread alone, but they do need it :)
I would say just go lightly over the surface to break it up a bit and mix the mulch with a little soil, and it is going down a foot deep that is hard work, you don't want that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I'm told not to till to have someone else do it and my son said he will.

He did like what a Cover Crop does. I also put Compost and Wood Ash on it.

He moved in to help me but I still try to do things myself.

As matter fact I was told about it at Church after an older guy tried to get his son to do something. Son was him hawing around so the old man did it and hurt himself.

My son is telling him what I'm going to do i either hear why or I get the Deer in Headlights look.

big rockpile

Ask a Question