Thuja Plicante - Conifer foliage browning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I recently planted a row of semi-mature Western Red Cedar trees as a screen from neighbours. Fertiliser watered and well mulched, but around 3 months later they are all slowly turning brown from the inner branches outwards. This slow dieback has proved impossible to stop and I'm concerned that I'm going to loose them. Any ideas what it may be and how it could be stopped. I'm in North West UK.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

• 20240903_184519.jpg
    20240903_184519.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United States
Most likely it's because you fertilized it when you planted it. It's recommended that you not fertilize them immediately, wait until new growth appears.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for the response. Wasn't aware of that. It was planted into new soil so the fertiliser was meant to help with growth! Chicken vs egg. I guess it could have been overdone, or manure not sufficiently rotted and vegetation scorched. If they survive the winter lets see what spring brings.

Ask a Question