Thoughts on recipe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 0 experience growing anything. I fell down a rabithole reading about microorganisms. Thoughts on what I think would be a good recipe for soil?

Bases:
1/3 66% Canna Coco 33% Peat Moss
1/3 66% Worm Castings 33% Compost
1/3 66% Pumice 33% Rice Hulls

Additives: Bio Char, Alfalfa Meal, Sea 90, Kelp Meal, Bat Guano, Bird Guano, Insect Frass, Neem Seed Meal, Oyster Shell Meal, Shrimp Meal

Or is it obvious I know nothing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have 0 experience it's best to go with bagged garden soil that you can top dress with compost as the season goes on to keep your plants fed.

Pumice and coco coir are not necessary at all, and peat moss is used less often now as folks have learned that it isn't as useful as once thought due to the fact that it is very acidic, adds little nutrition to the soil and once it dries out it absorhs water very slowly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As a Potting Soil I mix one part Peat Moss, one part Course Perlite, one part Top Soil, 1/4 part Worm Castings and two parts Compost.

I like using Rainbow Pro Mix Grow Fertilizer, Lime and Wood Ash.

In my regular Garden I plant Winter Wheat as a Cover Crop, put Compost on it and Wood Ash before working up. Put Worm Castings around my Tomatoes.

All this works for me Microbs are very important but are very sensitive. Read and reread everything. Like everyone was saying Peroxide, I read yes it's good for the plants but read more it will kill Microbs.

big rockpile

Ask a Question