Thistles!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a gardening client with many thistles in their garden. I have learned NOT to dig them. I bought Thistle Down but haven't tried it. Also have RoundUp. They have two great pyrenees who run around the yard.

1) best way to KILL thistles? 2) do you think the dogs would chew on them after spraying? I don't see any evidence of chewed thistles, but I'm concerned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Glyphosate (Roundup) is great for killing thistles, among other things. As spiny/bristly as thistles are, I wouldn't expect dogs to chew on them. Once the spray dries it's dog safe so keeping them out of the yard as long as it takes to dry is sufficient. With an LD50 of 10,000mg/kg of body weight and Great Pyrenees running 100+lbs, it would take LOTS of Roundup to kill one.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Glyphosate (Roundup) is great for killing thistles, among other things. As spiny/bristly as thistles are, I wouldn't expect dogs to chew on them. Once the spray dries it's dog safe so keeping them out of the yard as long as it takes to dry is sufficient. With an LD50 of 10,000mg/kg of body weight and Great Pyrenees running 100+lbs, it would take LOTS of Roundup to kill one.
Thank you!!!

Ask a Question