Tell me doctor, can you save my allums?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any ideas what is wrong and more importantly how to fix? Or should I just rip these up and plant something else? Give up? Leave em like thus for another 3 months or transplant or build a garlic trellis? Lol

They are bulbing a bit, but I saw someone else's garlic and onion and mine are so pathetic in comparison I feel ashamed.

Timeing certainly wasnt perfect but i still shouldnt have ended up like this.

There are some black and brown stains on the stems, pressume from too much water. They droop with too much water or too hot, and its one or other in georgia. The stemas are kinda soft, flimsy, cant hold their own weight. Dug one up looked healthy. Maybe leaf types browned early, but it was after a cold spell. The leaves keep dieing from the bottom up, some have streaks of brown.

1000006260.jpg
1000006261.jpg
1000006262.jpg
1000006263.jpg
1000006264.jpg
1000006265.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Has it gotten warm for cold season plants there? What timing are you meaning? Are they in super well draining soil or a custom water retaining mix? Also, I love cooking with vidalia onions and I know they are short day onions. Are you growing long day onions in the south?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Has it gotten warm for cold season plants there? What timing are you meaning? Are they in super well draining soil or a custom water retaining mix? Also, I love cooking with vidalia onions and I know they are short day onions. Are you growing long day onions in the south?
Sorry for late reply work has been kicking my but. Everything looks worse. Should I pull this stuff up and plant something else? Varieties:

Garlic:
Transylvania
ichelium red
Chets Italian
Nootka rose

Onion:
White burmuda
Southern bell red

i picked a few, everything smells incredible, sharp onion and garlic... but tiny. It rains a lot. I reused old potting mix for all this, maybe planted onion too deep... its coco based most likely, guess that qas my problem... also i got jelous of other people allums and put a box of guano on this stuff right before we entered eternal wetness... but i think it might have just kinda stayed with the rice husks. They seem to be bulbing a bit.
1000006375.jpg

1000006374.jpg
1000006373.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Onions seem close to death or something, they are like nice big onion sets, lol. Had some black afids sprayed with soapy water... maybe it's time to tear all this up and plant beans and peas? Any advice? I can make a mound of pesto I guess.
1000006440.jpg

1000006418.jpg

1000006389.jpg

Ask a Question