Swiss Chard vs. leaf miners - is neem oil an effective control?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I recently wrote about my totally decimated Chard and other Brassica seedlings this spring (https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/decimated-brassica-seedlings.31187/#post-268750). At the same time I had a couple of other Swiss Chard plants that successfully overwintered. A month ago they looked relatively healthy (the slugs seemed to be far less interested in them than in the young seedlings), but now they too are starting to be decimated. From past experience I believe this is leafminer damage. I'm looking for confirmation that that is indeed what I'm dealing with and I'm also wondering if there is an effective (organic) control, such as neem oil. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
IMG_4041.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That does not look like leaf miner damage to me, usually the best way to ID leaf miner damage is by looking at the back of the leaf and you can clearly see the little tunnels they dig thru the leaf. The damage is in a small area and many times the leaf looks relatively normal on the top side.

Leaf miners, of all the "pests" are the least destructive and usually never needs corrective action, other than maybe cutting off the leaf. I don't even do that, because I've never had a plant succumb to leaf miners.

You soil does look very moist, this may be a case of soil that is too wet. I also wonder if all that chickweed in the background is sapping too many nutrients from the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You have a bacterial soft rot. The only control is immediate removal of all affected leaves. Do not compost them, through them in the trash. You can eat the undamaged portions if you want.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Neem did nothing for my aphid infestation in my garden of mostly chard, beets, and other leafy greens. I tried a few insecticides that are "suitable for organic gardening" and the only one that's been consistently effective is Azamax. It's a concentrate, I spray once or twice every 2-4 weeks and it keeps the aphids away. Without it, they quickly infest and destroy everything in my indoor garden.

Ask a Question