Suggestions for a 13' x 4' front yard garden area

Reaction score
Country
United States
So for the last couple years some randomly occuring trees/saplings dominated the front yard 13' x 4' garden area that was setup by the previous owner. The saplings were getting too big, as this designated garden area is right up against the house. I sadly had to cut them down with a saw, leaving a bare dirt (after weeding) 13' x 4' blank canvas.

To be honest I am not interested in a very complicated or tedious garden that requires a lot of work. I rent out my house and just want it to look nice for the tenants. Unfortunately the local cats have been using it as a litter box, and even though I love cats, I cleaned up a crap load (pun intended) of cat crap and I don't want to do that again. My first thoughts are laying down heavy duty weed guard, then gravel, and maybe 3 circles of dirt (evenly spaced) with pretty flowers/ bushes. Simple and nice looking.

Anything wrong with this thought process? Will the weed guard erode and fail in a few years? Here is a link to a pic of the garden area. You can see the tree stumps; I'll probably dig them out a little more first (advice on stump removal welcome). There is also a rose bush in the corner that looks great in the spring and I wouldn't mind keeping it there. Any and all suggestions are welcome, and thanks in advance!

pic of garden area:

Reaction score
Country
United States
What direction is that side of the house facing? You need to pick something that will be happy with the sun exposure it will get there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ooh great question. This is facing directly east! Also I am in Colorado, technically a semi-arid, high-desert climate. I would prefer something low-maintenance over looks, it would be great to find something that doesn't need too much additional watering but am open to a little bit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some dwarf conifers, maybe. You can look up your growing zone and find some that tolerate or need part shade or morning sun. You will need to water them weekly until they get a good foothold in the ground.

Ask a Question