Strawberry transplant

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm transplanting strawberries from the ground to a raised bed. I am going to wait until the leaves start browning. Any other advice?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did that last year. I waited , like you said, until the leaves started to brown, pruned them to 4-5 big healthy leaves ( I'm in zone 9 in the southeast so my plants do not completely die back) then when I put them in window box sized containers I added potting soil with compost, about 50/50 and a slow release fertilizer. I watered frequently and gave them a dilluted feed of fish emulsion every other week. This gave me quite a good crop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spread your season, I have always grown the strawberries I found in a garden I had early on, standard early cropping variety, then I read an article recommending growing a mix of early, middle and late varieties with a couple of perpetual ones to extend the season and have at least three possibilities in case one fails. That's more than we need, but I bought a couple of Malling Champions, a perpetual variety, and they are great. Using the greenhouse I now have strawberries five months of the year instead of three weeks, without the greenhouse it would still be almost four months. They also make good runners, so you don't need a lot.

PS If you have big, old plants you can split the plants almost as successfully as taking runners.

Ask a Question