Storing the harvest

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Finland
How/where do you store harvested crops such as potatoes🥔, carrots🥕, beetroots etc for the winter?

So, where and what kind of storing method you havea and how you prep crops for the storage?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That's one of my favorite topics. However, my experience is with produce/crops grown in a very hot and humid sub-tropical climate and probably doesn't apply much to Finland.

Because my climate is so demanding, my primary method of storing excess veggies is canning. Potatoes, carrots, green beans, beets, okra, peppers, peas, various beans, tomatoes, and others the excess is usually canned. Excess Corn is usually frozen, but we love fresh corn so much I make three staggered plantings starting about April 1 to provide a continuous supply of fresh sweet most of the summer. Also, we freeze some okra, jalapenos, and bell peppers.

Onions and garlic are stored in an outside covered shed which is open on three sides for ventilation. I also store potatoes in a dark place in my well house which tends to be somewhat cooler (cooler than 100 deg.F). Potatoes stored that way are primarily used for seed potatoes as in my location I can get a spring and a fall crop.

The main prepping I do for storage is on onions. I grow in excess of 200 pounds of yellow and red onions each year harvesting in May, planting in Nov. To prepare them for storage, I withdraw all watering at least one week prior to harvest. The pulled onions are left to dry in full sun for 1-2 days depending on the moisture levels. Then the tops are removed, and they go into storage. Pretty much the same for garlic only I don't dry them in sunlight but in a shaded area.

We are able to use our garden to produce over 90% of the veggies we consume and as much as possible consume most of it fresh by using multiple crops and staggered plantings. Canning works well but the taste of fresh is still tops in my book.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Finland
Oh, yeah, I was just curious and very interested how everyone does storing all over the world. 😃

Because even in here I struggle with getting the ground cellar to cool after summer in time for the crops to go in. Couple of years ago I even used portable ac to heat the outside air and put the other vent to cellar so the cool excess air would go there 😅 it worked ok, but had to put shelter over it because of the rain.

Yellow onions I dry outside too and then at the attic if needed (sometimes even in a sauna, not heated one, just using the floor heating to get the right temperature there) then off to storage.

That is cool that you can get two crops of potatoes and stagger the growing if all as they don't store there for long. 😊

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Canning and pickling mainly for beets carrots and cabbage.

Tomatoes, beans get canned, spinach gets frozen as does okra.

Green Onions I leave in the ground, and pick as needed. Potatoes I've struggled with keeping in the house, too warm. I'm going to try keeping them in the barn this winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Tomatoes Get canned or dehydrated.
Beans - Canned and frozen
Corn- eat as much as possible fresh. Freeze any left over. I blanch it for about 2 minutes and then freeze. It tastes good for about 4 months, after that it starts to lose taste.
Garlic - stored in unfinish part of basement.
Jalepenos- dehydrated. some kept whole some blended up into a powder for soups
Potatoes- canned and rest stored in unfinished part of basement
Beets- canned or dehydrated.
Okra- frozen

Ask a Question