Spider plant - repot while in flower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a Spider plant, which is in flower, with several branches (or are they called something else? i like to get these things right) each with flowers. but it is very very pot bound. i can see a big fat root poking out of the bottom of the pot. is it safe, or even advisable, to repot it at this point? thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's flowering because it's potbound.. They get crowded and the soil becomes depleted so, to carry on the species they flower to get seed to make more of themselves.

I would repot it. You only need a pot an inch wider than it's in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's flowering because it's potbound.. They get crowded and the soil becomes depleted so, to carry on the species they flower to get seed to make more of themselves.

I would repot it. You only need a pot an inch wider than it's in.
thanks, that makes sense. i will do, thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've repotted three Spider plants now, which were all incredibly pot-bound. they all have flowers, plantlets and shoots. i'll be keeping a close eye on them. one of them had one shoot, and in the two days since i repotted it, it has expanded to three shoots.

as so many people keep them with their plantlets and flowers, even though that means they're pot-bound, does that mean it's healthy for the plant? if not, this seems like a never-ending task. i started with two plants, and now i'm surrounded by them, trying to find homes for them!

also, is it best to water them from the top or the bottom? thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Water from the top, water from the bottom, doesn’t matter as long as they get wet.
As long as they are growing vigorously, pot bound isn’t important. They are monocots, which means their roots get longer without increasing in diameter. That keeps them from having issues with girdling roots. Make new plants with the plant let’s or keep them on for a fuller look; it’s your choice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water from the top, water from the bottom, doesn’t matter as long as they get wet.
As long as they are growing vigorously, pot bound isn’t important. They are monocots, which means their roots get longer without increasing in diameter. That keeps them from having issues with girdling roots. Make new plants with the plant let’s or keep them on for a fuller look; it’s your choice.
i'm sorry cpp gardener, i'm still getting used to this forum. i've now bookmarked all the posts i originated, which i hope will help.

thank you for the information. every new piece gratefully stored.

Ask a Question