Sphagnum Moss Top Dressing for Succulents?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone here use sphagnum moss as a top dressing for succulents? I keep my succulents in a soilless mix that I make with crushed pumice, chicken grit and calcined clay. Works great, dries fast, my plants love it and I've been using it for many years now. It's not the most attractive looking mix, so I'll usually cover it with a top dressing of natural brown gravel and a few river rocks. I'm going to be doing some repotting soon and was thinking of mixing things up a bit though, and trying a different type of top dressing. Would long fiber sphagnum moss work well with succulents (mainly various Euphorbia, jades, Pachypodium)? Or would it hold too much moisture and create an environment that would encourage undesirable things like fungus and fungus gnats? I've read that it dries quickly... And I'm not talking about incorporating it into the mix, just laying it on top as a decorative layer. I keep my plants in a relatively dry room (40-50% humidity).

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
Agree with Annie and Oliver. I use little fish-tank pebbles – super. Also, aesthetically I suppose, more consistent with succulents' natural environment, hot and arid; moss is from cool and moist; provides a colo(u)r contrast while moss might blend a bit and make the succulent seem less distinct.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 3

Low Altitude

Low Altitude
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b but houseplants only - apartment
Country
United States
Oh, those all look terrific. I'm especially impressed with that woody stem on your jade. Any trick? I have a persistent soft-stems problem, both with 'gollums' and with standard crassla ovata.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, those all look terrific. I'm especially impressed with that woody stem on your jade. Any trick? I have a persistent soft-stems problem, both with 'gollums' and with standard crassla ovata.
Thanks! I'm afraid the trick is just waiting a really long time! :p Those jades are all very old plants. The oldest was started from a single leaf about 30 years ago. You can find people selling mature, thick jade trunks on Etsy (and elsewhere I'm sure). That'd be how I'd do it if I wanted another one. 👍

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10 - 11
Country
Saint Kitts And Nevis
One question? Why that specific type of moss? While it is better than using Peet Moss it takes about ten years to harvest more of the moss you are considering. It is just a thought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Something to keep in mind for future plants is that Canadian sphagnum peat may lower the pH of the soil. Your plants may or may not benefit from the increase in acidity. (Some non-Canadian harvests are not as acidic.)

For example, Premiere brand organic Pro Moss pH ranges from 4.2 to 5.2, depending on which location it originated.

As a side note: Premiere-Tech Horticulture in Quebec is a member of the Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Association which requires sustainable harvesting & restoration efforts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One question? Why that specific type of moss? While it is better than using Peet Moss it takes about ten years to harvest more of the moss you are considering. It is just a thought.
Hi Meyer Lemons,

Your comment about peat taking ten years to harvest more reminded me of the article that's attached below. It's pretty interesting.

I used to avoid anything called "peat" completely until I learned more. Now I don't mind using some (not excessive amounts) of Canadian sphagnum peat moss from CSPMA registered companies. Other peats I don't use.

The article mentions that of the 111 million hectares of sphagnum peat in Canada, 17,000 are harvested.
Seventy million tons of peat are naturally created annually in Canada & 1.3 million tons are harvested. That's a nice balance!

Paul

Attachments

• Sustainable Sphagnum Peat Moss Article copy.pdf
    382.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Ask a Question