Soil drainage below decorative pot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a decorative pot with a drip line in it that is positioned over clay soil. I kept finding the pot full of water and after digging about 18 inches down I am still in clay. I am not sure what to do about aiding the drainage. The location is flanked on 3 sides by concrete stairs, a sidewalk and our front porch. I have been waiting for nearly 3 days for the water in the hole to drain out and while it has diminished some, I think it may only be by way of evaporation. Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this? Would gypsum or pearlite help?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a great idea Anniekay, thank you! I've decided to put a 5 gallon bucket in the hole upside down, drill holes in the bottom and using your idea, place long blocks spanning the hole to create support for the pot above. This way there is a 5 gallon space for water to collect and drain over time. After 3 days the 6 inches of water that were in the hole is nearly gone so hopefully this solution will be enough to solve the issue. We'll, see. Thanks again, Marc.

Ask a Question