Small and slightly disformed Strawberries

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm getting small and slightly dis-formed strawberries.

I planted my plants last spring. I did 2 rows of June Bearings, 1 row of Day Neutral and 1 row of half Pineberries, half Purple Strawberries.

The plants thrived last year and I resisted the urge to let any strawberries grow, snipping all of the blossoms. The entire garden is covered with plants, meaning my rows are just one large patch. This year, only the June Bearing berries have harvested, and they were somewhat small and slightly misinformed.

For one, I think the plants are overcrowded, so I plan to thin them. I'll try and identify which row the daughter plants came from. I can either replant the daughter and remove the mother, or can discard the daughter. What do you recommend here?

Also, I suspect there is a lack of pollination going on, since we don't get many bugs here in Zone 7A until later in June. Other than taking a clean paintbrush and assisting with the pollination next year, is there anything else to assist with that?

Finally, what time of year is best for cutting the plants down?

I can't get any pictures of the plants tonight since it's dark, but can try some tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - my soil was professionally tested in the fall and I applied the recommendations to a "T"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Most disappointing, irregular water?
I plant purple basil and marigolds around and between, seems to work with insects various ways.
Don't think I have ever 'cut them down', I just remove all the dead leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Strawberries are greedy feeders at my house. I fertilize them every other week with a weak fertilizer.

I don't cut mine down either, I do like Oliver and keep up with removing brown leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It shouldn't be irregular water. My hose is on a timer with a drip hose for 10 minutes every morning at 5am I can increase it to 20 mins now that we're in the dry season..

I will try to fertilize them more often. I didn't realize they need it every other week.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some people talk about spraying the leaves with weak fertiliser as well. I put the rose on the watering can and saturate the plant when I water, Not in full sun!
I don't have any real foundation for it, other than thinking plants like 'steady', but I never fertilise at the times the directions say, I put a very little bit in every time I water, adds up to the same, but more constant. like I say, I have no evidence, but it feels right. Interestingly I saw on the news that a university is investigating just that. So many gardening, word of mouth, ideas could do with proper scientific investigation. Like the leaves, I figure if they are still green they are still working for the plant, but cutting them all off and making things stop might be better for fruit production for all I know, though it is probably just the product of a 'tidy' mindset.

Ask a Question