Slugs,help pleas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the UK, and the slugs this year due to the weather are incredibly abundant!
I have lost all my cucumbers melons even my onions and spring onions.
I can't use slug pellets, are nematodes affective?
I have literally lost 50 percent of everything so any tips or hints would be welcome.
East Anglia has been very wet,not a lot of sun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never tried nematodes. Slug pellets used to be lethal to pets, birds and children, but they have switched from metaldehyde to an iron chloride which is not nearly so bad.
The main origins of slugs are lawns and compost heaps, keep your compost heap at least eight feet from from your growing beds. Where beds adjoin lawns you can try planting aromatics, I have a low lavender hedge. You can also try planting alliums like onions and leeks around the edge, I have never found it very effective, but every little helps. I dot red basil through my beds, it looks nice and attracts pollinators as well as supposedly deterring slugs.
A good torch, a plastic glove and a bottle of boiled water to drop them in is pretty effective, they drown even when the water has cooled down.
Ground beetles and slow worms are your friends, I leave planks and bits of board for them to live under, but I also turn them every so often to check for slugs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have lots too. Put a short board down in various places amongst your plants and in early morning they will be hiding under there. Then you can pick them off and send them to Salt City ( drop them in a bucket of salt ) that kills them.

Ask a Question