Rose of Sharon... I Need to Destroy it, Sadly

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate asking about killing a plant, but I had to tear out a rose of sharon a few years ago. It had been there a while and the roots are deep, so I couldn't get them all. Since then, the plant keeps trying to come back from the leftover roots. How can I kill the roots to stop the plant from coming back? I have tried sealing it and everything, no luck. Just for info purposes, it is in a plot that, over the last three years, I have been turning into a bee/butterfly way station. I have a lawn ornament over where this thing is growing, and it is extremely heavy, but the plant is trying to grow around it. On top of the ornament is a mason bee home (with residents). There is also a bee watering hole (re-purposed bird bath), a huge lantana, an ice plant, a blue geranium, and a knock out rose bush. So anything I do has to be safe for the other plants but also the bees/butterflies. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hormones are the answer. There is a product used to grow plants called superthrive. It is used at 1\4 teaspoon per gallon. It is an auxin which drives vertical growth. Should one use it too strongly it will kill systemically.

Of course there are brushkillers that already do this with different chemistry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hypericums are a good 'bee-plant' ; why do you want rid of it anyway ?
You could let it grow as a small shrub , leave to flower then cut down like you would a perennial .
It will come back no matter how hard you lop it back .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hypericums are a good 'bee-plant' ; why do you want rid of it anyway ?
You could let it grow as a small shrub , leave to flower then cut down like you would a perennial .
It will come back no matter how hard you lop it back .

Because it attracts ants that crawl into the window it is under, which is my mother's bedroom. It's also started causing an issue with the house foundation. My father didn't realize it was going to become as massive as it did when he planted it there.

Ask a Question