ROSE BUSHES VS CONTRACTOR!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello:

So, a storm last Feburary caused siding and roof damage to our home. After much red tape with the insurance company, mortage company, city, and the signed contracted contractor, our work is just now being scheduled. Problem? My 17 year old rose garden is in full bloom- 400 roses, cascading from 7 feet high down, that are less than a foot from the house. I truly had no idea that these roses would grow so beautifully and I love them. The contactor is being difficult--he says he is not responsible for any damage to plants, and boards will have to be put up to bend the plants back. I suggested we wait until fall time--though I never cut the plants back much---to try to cut them then proceed with new siding.
Contractor said no. Stated insurance will need this to be done in a timely basis-yeah right-and costs could go up--their costs of course.

Sorry for the long post but what is the best action here if the roses are in full bloom now--one will not be by end of June but the others will, cut them back on or let them bend them? Ouch!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
We had the same situation but are situation was in the fall and they trampled over plants that weren't even close to the house.

You might try cutting back the longest ones or ones that are more likely to be bent and just hope for the best. Or you might erect tepees over the roses, so that anything falling will be shunted away from the roses and a reminder for the construction crew.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If you want your roses to survive I suggest putting some temporary fencing up between them and your home. If you do that yourself then you can guarantee minimal damage from the contractor. He has already suggested boards to bend them back and personally I wouldn't trust him to do that without damage. He is basically a builder and past experience tells me they don't have much respect for plants when working.

Ask a Question