Root rot doubt

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi guys, just registered to this forum, im italian. I have a monstera deliciosa bought a month ago. I repotted it in a bigger pot using a good substrate using also perlite, clay and coco, then I watered it properly. This was a week ago, and the soil didn’t dry out tbh, just the top 2 centimeters of the substrate is dry. I’m worrying that maybe the roots aren’t healthy idk. I’m in doubt couse on the anther hand there are many leaves coming out, can someone with more experience help me?🥺❤️

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
The clay was not a good idea. Holds too much moisture. Buy potting soil, plant it in that but wash off all of what you put in the pot and what's on the roots. When you buy bagged potting soil, unless you are planting something that needs extra fast drainage, the soil is fine the way it is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your soil is not drying out in the top inch or two,after one week, and you let it stay wet, the roots will rot, the bottom leaves will start turning yellow and fall off. They will not turn yellow and fall off just because you removed the clay soil. Monstera are part of tha Araceae family which includes philodendrons. They are not at all sensitive to transplanting or having soil washed from their roots. Actually, cuttings root very easily IN water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The clay is in the new soil and simply removing that will eliminate the issue. No need to remove the soil it was growing in before purchase. You could even pop it back into the original pot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The clay is in the new soil and simply removing that will eliminate the issue. No need to remove the soil it was growing in before purchase. You could even pop it back into the original pot.
Oh for goodness sake, @ccp gardener I said, if you read it without looking for something to correct, to wash the CLAY soil off the roots. I didn't suggest to denude the root ball entirely or to remove the original soil it was potted in, just wash the clay sticking to the roots off. .

Ask a Question