Rhuus dead/dying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I presume this is dead?…will it recover or should I dig it out?

What would be reason for dying off?

Attachments

• IMG_1681.jpeg
    IMG_1681.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
That is poison Sumac. You don't want that in your yard. Yes it has pretty fall foliage but it will give you a terrible rash. I would have it removed.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
Does it have ample water & food? How long has it been like that? The roots could be root bound, it could be a disease, it could need water or food asap. The mondo grass or one of the other plants near it could have put a toxin in the soil that is harming it. I see that it has a large boulder over its roots and long compacted soil so that probably isn't helping matters.

Mystic Moon Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wouldn't give up on it until you try these things. But first make sure to wear gloves because it can be toxic to the touch & give your skin a bad reaction.

1. Stem Check - Feel one of the smaller branches to see if it is still flexible. If there is a flexible branch that doesn't feel dry & breaks easily because it is bending gently without breaking, take sterile pruning sheers to clip a section off cleanly & look to see if the inside center still has any indication of life. It is usually green or a bit wet instead of dry & hollow. If there are no living branches the tree could have pulled its lifeforce back to the trunk & roots in despiration. Or, it may be dead.

2. Offer emergency support - to see if it leafs back out. Till the soil without harming the roots around the base of the tree and add some potting soil & a fertalizer that is appropriate for this particular tree. Water that in thoroughly & provide hand watering daily for the next few weeks to see if any new leaf buds form on the tree.

3. Root check - If you push a little on the trunk do the roots feel solid like they are griping the ground? Many plants release their grip on the soil when they die &/or their roots begin to rot & the tree will be noticeably loose in the earth. This means it is likely dead in hard packed soil. If they are still solid the plant may be close to dieing, but salvage able with emergency care.

4. Check thoroughly for pests & pathogens - check the dead leaf debris, trunk & soil for evidence of something that hurt or killed the tree. Is the bark coming off the tree? You would also need to treat for these problems, but if the tree is critical the treatment might take it over the edge. If you care about it a lot you could do a soil test to see if the other plants are putting out a toxin that is killing it. Make decissions accordingly as these things could spread & effect other plants.

If after 2 to 3 weeks of plant ER & TLC it doesn't show signs of life, I would say the tree is likely dead instead of dormant, because of the time of year this happened & you can remove it.

Last edited:

Mystic Moon Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A good sign if they are from the root stock & you want to keep it. It may mean the main trunk has some damage in it, likely from too little water or excessive heat, and it is trying to produce a new main trunk, or they are suckers from a parasitic plant. Time will tell and you will know if it leafs out with the same leaves as the original tree. I have fruit trees & roses over the years that I thought had been killed by frost, but they were just severely damaged in the main trunk by frost. The new trunks were trained and produced perfectly pretty trees, which you eventually can remove the old trunk if it isn't able to send life back up it within a year. But you need to cut it down carefully after the suckers establish fully. Its a game of patience and better care for the tree in the future. Hopefully the suckers can establish & its not too depleted to send energy back up the main trunk.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Suckers are from tree….which I have now cut down… and will now keep an eye on suckers…thanks for comments!

As they say…you win some …you lose some!

Ask a Question