Resources for deadheading

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 B
Country
United States
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good resource that covers deadheading all kinds of flowers and gives good directions on how to deadhead those particular plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think that's a subject that would require a book. A couple paragraphs, maybe. Cut the dead flower of a rose back to a five lobed leaf, most others just snip the flower off to just above the next set of leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 B
Country
United States
You would think so but everytime I've looked up flowers that need deadheading and how to do it I get different answers depending on the source. Some say snip at the base of stem some say snip at the next set of adult leaves and some say just snip the flower bud. I'm deadheading for the purpose of encouraging longer blooming period and worry if I snip the plant the wrong way it will stop blooming at all lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 B
Country
United States
Pretty much I'm just looking for a reliable resource for me to look up the plant I'm caring for and get a run down of how to do that even watering and fertilizer and how to care for the plant over winter all the things someone who has been gardening for a long time sees as common sense but someone like me wouldn't have a clue about. Each plant variety has different needs and I am looking for something other than Google to help me. There is a book on Amazon called the encyclopedia of gardening I believe but I wasn't sure if that really is a trusted source the way it's advertised lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
You would think so but everytime I've looked up flowers that need deadheading and how to do it I get different answers depending on the source. Some say snip at the base of stem some say snip at the next set of adult leaves and some say just snip the flower bud. I'm deadheading for the purpose of encouraging longer blooming period and worry if I snip the plant the wrong way it will stop blooming at all lol.
No, plants boom to produce seed to continue their existence. Once you remove the flowers that tells the plant: " Oh gee, I just got me reproductive organs grazed off, I need to make more flowers.!! " It's not anything to stress over.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty much I'm just looking for a reliable resource for me to look up the plant I'm caring for and get a run down of how to do that even watering and fertilizer and how to care for the plant over winter all the things someone who has been gardening for a long time sees as common sense but someone like me wouldn't have a clue about. Each plant variety has different needs and I am looking for something other than Google to help me. There is a book on Amazon called the encyclopedia of gardening I believe but I wasn't sure if that really is a trusted source the way it's advertised lol
Every type of plant has different needs, yes, but you will need to understand what plants need, for instance, sun with poor soil and excellent drainage vs plants that need constant moisture and shade. One book won't do it, in my opinion.

The least stressful way to grow plants is to suit the right plant to conditions you have. When you are looking for plants to grow in your yard. As a beginner your easy route is to read labels and see that that plant will suit your present conditions and don't buy a plant just because you like it.

I know that is sometimes difficult, but if you look for plants that are easy to grow, you can cut your teeth on those and as you gain Experience go on to plants that are a bit more fussy.

Otherwise, you try to learn too much all at once and you will have brain overload and become discouraged.

Reaction score
Country
United States
YouTube is a great resource for any and all gardening tips.

Ask a Question