Repotting?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have several plants in Pots. They seem to be enjoying themselves but I'm thinking they are growing very fast and needing Repotting often.

I have some I potted month ago and already needing repotting.

This isn't bad for me but is it normal? Yes I'm using Big Pots.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I repot once the plant's roots are coming out the bottom of the pot and spiralling around inside it. In other words: when it's rootbound. It doesn't matter how big the plant is, if it's still thriving and hadn't exhausted all the goodness in the soil, isn't wilting frequently, it isn't in need of repotting.
When it does need to be repotted you repot into the next size up. Use a pot just an inch or two larger than what they were growing in. Too big a pot is not better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It depends on what kind of plant and what your plans are for it.

If it is a monocot (palm, grass, philodendron) it doesn’t matter how “root bound” it gets. The roots don’t get any thicker than when they first grow.

If it is a dicot (ficus, oak, holly, rose) the roots get thicker as time goes by and they can girdle the stem. This is especially important for trees that are going to be planted in the ground. It can cause poor growth and even death when the roots cut off nutrient and water flow to the rest of the tree.

A special case is plants that will never go into the ground, like houseplants. They can be “bonsaied” by removing tangled roots and depleted soil. These don’t even need to go into a bigger pot.

If it is a tree or large shrub it CAN go into a much bigger pot as long as watering is careful to prevent sogginess at depth. This way you can prevent curling roots by giving them more room.

Ask a Question