Recommend a shrub for this spot in front of my porch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would like to find some kind of pleasant and easy to keep shrub to create a visual barrier in front of my porch. The space I have to work with is 13 ft x 2 ft, and I want to find a plant that will top out around 5 ft high or is easy to keep pruned to that height -- that's the red line. An additional complication is that there is a path in front of the bed, so it needs to be easy to keep the plants trimmed and out of the walkable area.

I do not need a complete visual barrier, just something to a add a bit of screening. And whatever it is, it would be nice if it stayed leafy through a Seattle winter. And had some nice flowers. And it would be great if it was possible to plant soon, rather than next year.

Thanks a bunch for your ideas. I know nothing about gardening!

1724264160084.png

(I used to have rose bushes here, but I removed them because they were pretty mangy and unappealing -- and always growing over the path. I probably could have taken better care of them, but they are gone now.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
A dwarf Sasanqua camellia would due. Mine has very small dark evergreen leaves, thrives with half a day of sun and flowers in fall, covered in pink flowers. They get about 3' wide and 5' tall. They do come in other colors if you're not a fan of pink. You could put 3-5 of those across below your porch.

Don't prune it until just after it finishes flowering or you'll cut off the blooms for next year.

Early fall is a good time to plant them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to find some kind of pleasant and easy to keep shrub to create a visual barrier in front of my porch. The space I have to work with is 13 ft x 2 ft, and I want to find a plant that will top out around 5 ft high or is easy to keep pruned to that height -- that's the red line. An additional complication is that there is a path in front of the bed, so it needs to be easy to keep the plants trimmed and out of the walkable area.

I do not need a complete visual barrier, just something to a add a bit of screening. And whatever it is, it would be nice if it stayed leafy through a Seattle winter. And had some nice flowers. And it would be great if it was possible to plant soon, rather than next year.

Thanks a bunch for your ideas. I know nothing about gardening!

View attachment 104843

(I used to have rose bushes here, but I removed them because they were pretty mangy and unappealing -- and always growing over the path. I probably could have taken better care of them, but they are gone now.)
Ask your local nursery if this plant is practical for having near your porch (berries might stain wood?). Ask if you can keep it trimmed to your desired 5' height. This plant is native to your area and sounds beautiful. Info states plant will grow 3' or so in full sun, but can grow to 10' if in full shade.

"Like red flowering currant, evergreen huckleberry provides a sweet treat for butterflies and hummingbirds in the spring, while its fall berries are prized by local songbirds. Its spring flowers are white and pink, while the berries turn from red in the summer to deep purple in the fall. The new spring leaf growth is a reddish color, which gives great spring interest. Its mature leaves are a glossy green. Overall, it’s a very versatile plant and makes an attractive hedge in your landscape.

• Plant type: Evergreen shrub
  • Hardiness zones: 7-9
  • Sun: Sun or shade; prefers partial or full shade
  • Water needs: Prefers moist soil
  • Soil: Tolerates clay, sand, and soils with low organic content; needs acidic soil
  • Duration: Perennial
  • Mature height: 2-10 feet tall; grows taller in shade."

Ask a Question