Question about soil?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So a friend of mine gave me some soil testing kits. They are amazing. You put samples of the soil and then send it into this company. And then they tell you what the breakdown of the soil is and what minerals or nutrients levels are. Or which are lacking those nutrients.

But... I have questions about that in a way... I mean... when you look at the ground, there's obviously dirt there. A lot of dirt. So how is it all that dirt doesn't have that many nutrients in it? I always wondered about that. I could dig a tunnel to China (Ok, the 10 year old me could)... and you never run out of dirt. so how is it all that dirt under your house and in your yard doesn't have nothing in it? Or is always nutrient barren?

OR is there just such a thing as it has to be a small size for the plants to pick it up? Or when we test for nutrients are they only picking up the loose small trace elements that are easily broken loose? It seems difficult to think that there's nothing there in the dirt. So many its just that the plants can only pick up the loose stuff?

What do people think about this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lots of places are not 100% fertile. That's what they test for: nutruents and minerals in the soil that plants need for good health.

Where I am the soil is sandy so nutrients easily leech out of it and, we have no rock here. Rocks break down over time and add minerals like iron, copper, etc. No rocks, no minerals.

Ask a Question