Putting cherry blossom sapplings into bigger pots.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
what should i put into the lower level. im thinging some wood chippings as i can easily and cheaply get hold of them, and potting soil higher up with maybe a bit of perlite . but maybe this be a terrible idea i dunno. any ideas.....one bonus question. iv been recommended a real concoction as like a bug repellent spray. what do you guys think of this?
500ml tapwater
3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
1 tsp coffee granules, non decaf
3 dried chillies, crumbled
dash of tabasco sauce
half a teaspoon of washing up liquid
spray bottle

not sure what to think of it especially the washing up liquid part which is not something i would normally think abt spraying around my plants, but it is from a serious gardening book by Hollie Newton. so i think il try it......any thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use coffee filters in the bottom of pots and if the pot is very deep I use broken pieces of styrofoam to cover the drain holes.

Perlite is a good addition to potting soil when rooting cuttings or potting on plants that necessitate good drainage.

If you mean that recipe is to repel bugs in the garden it sounds like it would work but I wouldn't use anything with hot cillies because one rouge breeze and I'd have it on my skin or in my eyes. !!.

Maybe wear gloves, long sleeves and goggles when you spray it. 😄

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I use coffee filters in the bottom of pots and if the pot is very deep I use broken pieces of styrofoam to cover the drain holes.

Perlite is a good addition to potting soil when rooting cuttings or potting on plants that necessitate good drainage.

If you mean that recipe is to repel bugs in the garden it sounds like it would work but I wouldn't use anything with hot cillies because one rouge breeze and I'd have it on my skin or in my eyes. !!.

Maybe wear gloves, long sleeves and goggles when you spray it. 😄
thanks for response friend. the coffee filter idea is very good. defo gonna do that. because the holes on the pots i have in mind are pretty big. other than that though do u think filling say at least the bottom third with wood chippings is a good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would put the woodchips, so long as they are not freshly chipped, on top of the soil to help keep the soil from drying out. Otherwise, they won't add much to the soil in nutrition and may clog up your drainage holes. You know: wood swells with the addition of water.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I would put the woodchips, so long as they are not freshly chipped, on top of the soil to help keep the soil from drying out. Otherwise, they won't add much to the soil in nutrition and may clog up your drainage holes. You know: wood swells with the addition of water.
what to put instead, maybe a little sand?

Ask a Question