Pull or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted what I called a Butterfly Bed. Butterfly Milk Weed is doing fine but have some plants I'm not sure if I planted or just came up.

I checked and they come up as a weed, well all I planted was weeds. Got a good stand of Butterfly Milk Weed, thinking of just pulling this and go with the Milk Weed they seem happy with it.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If it blooms there are butterflies or other insects that will enjoy it. Our local news station did a story about allergies and ragweed. Problem was the photos they shower were goldenrod, not ragweed! I sent them an email, they corrected it same day!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is rag weed what we call Oxford ragwort? Himalayan in origin it grows on places like shale escarpments. It escaped from an Oxford garden onto local ruins and was there for some years until they built the railway nearby, it loves aggregate railway embankments and the wind blown seed spread all over the country along the railway system, then came major roads. Eaten by the cinnabar moth caterpillars, Poisonous to horses and cattle it is a real nuisance in pastures. Or is it something else.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is rag weed what we call Oxford ragwort? Himalayan in origin it grows on places like shale escarpments. It escaped from an Oxford garden onto local ruins and was there for some years until they built the railway nearby, it loves aggregate railway embankments and the wind blown seed spread all over the country along the railway system, then came major roads. Eaten by the cinnabar moth caterpillars, Poisonous to horses and cattle it is a real nuisance in pastures. Or is it something else.
No @Oliver Buckle , this is Ragweed. It resembles Goldenrod
and people think Goldenrod pollen is what bothers them, but it's actually the ragweed that does it. It has tall spikes of tiny green pea like seeds that you can pull off all in one go, As kids we would get a handfull and throw them in the hair of someone we didn't like. (Usually a pesky boy). They stick really, really well to hair.

1726525326763.png

Ask a Question