Pruning very old azalea

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I have a very large azalea in front of my house. It’s actually 2 shrubs that have grown closely together and appear as one and are greater than 6 ft tall and wide. They are over 90 years old and I haven’t touched them in 30 years. (My bad) They still flower beautifully in the spring. They are in desperate need of pruning but I’m afraid if I do they may die. My landscaper recommended that I just take them out as there are a lot of dead branches throughout the inner parts of the shrub that may not come back. I’m very torn about what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5486.jpeg
    IMG_5486.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
First, I would cut out the dead branches. Second I would cut away any branches that a scrapping other branches, keeping the branch that is most eye appealing. 2rd I would cut away any branches that are reaching for G0D, that will help with the keep the round look. Then 4th. Take it down 1/3rd all around. Nope you will not kill it. Have fun, should take a few days to complete.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I pruned these a few weeks ago, with garden shears as you would a hedge. I do it every year or they will grow too far out over the lawn.

P1000185.JPG

Or over the pathway.

P1000215.JPG

I've been doing it for a couple of decades.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi. I have a very large azalea in front of my house. It’s actually 2 shrubs that have grown closely together and appear as one and are greater than 6 ft tall and wide. They are over 90 years old and I haven’t touched them in 30 years. (My bad) They still flower beautifully in the spring. They are in desperate need of pruning but I’m afraid if I do they may die. My landscaper recommended that I just take them out as there are a lot of dead branches throughout the inner parts of the shrub that may not come back. I’m very torn about what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I believe that a good pruning would spark regrowth. Thinning so that the inside branches get light would keep it growing. I cut a Burning bush severely. It had not been cared for and had no shape and many dead branches. Look up on a plant site and find out when is the best time to prune your type of plant.

Ask a Question