Pruning Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have this massive tree shoot/stem (?) that looks like it should be removed. It's basically growing out of the ground and is similar to another tree trunk, but seems to be causing problems in the tree. It is unfortunately massive where it originates near the ground. What should i do about this? Also, this tree is growing too close to another tree and too close to the fence. How should i approach pruning this tree in general?

shoot.jpg

mid tree.jpg

top tree.jpg

afar.jpg

side view.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe once the leaves have fallen, I would take off the lower branches to trunk that encroach on the fence or ask a local arborist to take a look at it, on the pretext that you are looking for a quote but with the size of these you would be able to take his advise and do it yourself maybe ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They look like two shoots from a single root, that would suggest you might well get more shoots if you take them down, then you have two alternatives. You can either keep taking the shoots down until they give up, could be some time if there is a strong root there. Otherwise poison the shoots as they come, new leaves are more susceptible to poisons, and it will kill the root.
You could, of course, cut them down then dig out the root, but that's going to be a lot of work if you do it by hand, someone with a digger could save you a lot of hassle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks like a rootstock sucker on a plum. Remove the smaller trunk as low as you possibly can and any subsequent new shoots from that point. The fruit it produces won’t be tasty and it robs nutrients from the desired variety.
Check out davewilson.com for pruning backyard orchard trees. They have great tutorials on keeping trees small enough to harvest easily while producing abundantly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with advice given by Thame Gardener. The second trunk is basically as large as the first. Removing it is not practical. As Oliver said, you'd be fighting off other new shoots for years. Best to leave the second trunk and just limb it up above the fence line in late fall, after the leaves have fallen and it is dormant. You can also shorten any limbs which are growing too close to the other tree by no more than one third their total length. Do that on both trees and there will be good air circulation between them both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Doesn’t matter how big it is; it’s a sucker and will weaken the other, fruiting part. Remove it, deal with the resprouts and enjoy the fruit.

Ask a Question